The California Trucking Association (CTA) www.caltrux.org promotes leadership in the California motor carrier industry, advocates sound transportation policies to all levels of government, and works to maintain a safe, environmentally responsible and efficient California transportation goods movement system. For over 75 years, the California Trucking Association (CTA) has supported a large and varied membership, including one-person owner-operators to one-person consulting firms to truck manufacturers and international motor companies. CTA leads the nation in trucking associations with a membership that tops 3,600 members. The California Trucking Association works diligently to support the companies that together transport 85% of California's daily highway shipments.
The California Trucking Association promotes leadership in the California motor carrier industry, advocates sound transportation policies to all levels of government, and works to maintain a safe, environmentally responsible and efficient California transportation goods movement system.
Strength in numbers
• Active involvement with legislation and regulations
• Representing members who have over 350,000 trucks
• As a member, your participation enhances and strengthens the industry position
• In-house Policy Staff that answers members questions
• Timely and accurate information
• If you are not a member, you do not have access to this resource and are paying too much for compliance advice
• Safety and Compliance seminars to keep you informed
• Discount transportation supplies through our in-house supply center
• Endorsed and Benefit Partner programs offered exclusively to members
Chapters, Conferences, and Committees
The California Trucking Association has held its statewide Annual Management Conference for over 55 years. Locally, the CTA has organized the state into 13 regional areas, or chapters. Each chapter holds a specialty conference to develop policy one of these areas:
• Intermodal Drayage
• Heavy Specialized
• Bulk Carriers
• General Freight
• Multi State
• International Border Crossing
• Waste Haulers
• Petroleum Tank Truck
• Refrigerated Carriers
• Heavy-duty Tow
• Hay and Forest Products
The California Trucking Association also maintains five policy committees that focus on issues relating to Highway Policy, Truck Safety, and the Environment. The committees send their recommendations to the Board, where open debate and democratic voting occur.
Members receive training in speaking with elected officials and, together with professional lobbyists, participate in advocating for the CTA. This training, called Kingpin training, results in a powerful and involved membership and organization, and is the California Trucking Association's hallmark.
The California Trucking Association bestows several awards:
• The Fleet Safety Contest honors companies who have designed and implemented superior safety programs that reduce accidents.
• The Driver of the Month, North and South divisions, and Driver of the Year, rewards drivers based on their years of driving, clean records, and overall job and community excellence.
• The California Truck Driving Championship Competitions honor the winners of this fun skills competition. Current winners include:
- Mike Thacker of Fedex Freight, 3-axle
- Jerry Sheble of UPS Freight, 4-axle
- Dale Duncan of Con-way Freight, 5-axle
- Dan Hawkins of Safeway Stores, flatbed
- Tyrone Burghardt of Fedex Ground, package van
- Rob Kressley of Wal-Mart, sleeper berth
- Javier Saucedo of Con-way Freight, straight truck
- Marcus Lozoya of Con-way Freight, tank, and
- Steven Turner of Con-way Freight, twin.
• The Fleet Safety Professional Award honors an outstanding fleet safety manager whose performance in the previous three years is exceptional. The current winner is Mark Winsborrow of The Gilbert Company, www.gilbertusa.com.
• The Charlie Giles Memorial Award for Most Improved Fleet recognizes a company whose fleet has shown the most improvement in safety and performance. The current winner is Rocha Transportation, www.rochatrans.com.
• The Maintenance Professional of the Year Award honors an outstanding maintenance professional whose performance in the past three years is superior. The current winner is Daniel Souza of Mountain Valley Express, www.mtnvly.com.
The California Trucking Association publishes CalTrux Magazine, detailing current events, policies, and industry and legislative updates.
CTA's Executive Vice President and CEO is Michael Campbell.
Join the CTA
Joining the California Trucking Association is easy to do. Follow this link to CTA's online sign-up or call the main office:
California Trucking Association
4148 E. Commerce Way
Sacramento, CA 95834
Phone: (916) 373-3500
Fax: (916) 373-3637